Sunday, August 3, 2014

Converting Lionel LCS SensorTrack To Atlas O Track

Here's how I integrated Lionel's LCS SensorTrack with Atlas O track. 

Remove The Circuit Boards from the FasTrack


The SensorTrack circuit board is easily removed using a screw driver. 

The circuit board is small enough to fit under Atlas O track

Trim Atlas O Track Ties

I used a Dremel tool and a wood file to trim six ties. Trimming six ties provides ample room to adjust the track over the circuit board and the two IR sensors.

Next, notch the second and fifth tie. Each notch provides an opening for the IR sensor. 




Carve Roadbed To House Circuit Board

My layout uses roadbed from Hobby Innovations. You'll definitely need some type of roadbed to make the installation possible. 

Roadbed carved to hold the circuit board

Circuit Board and Track Installation

You should screw the circuit board to the table. I used Atlas track screws. The screws fit perfectly in the existing circuit board screw holes. If you don't screw the board down, then weight of the PDI cables may cause the board to shift. 

Once secured, install the PDI cables. You'll need to cut a fairly large hole. I cut my hole bigger than necessary in order to plug/unplug the PDI cables (if needed). 

Finally, install the track over the circuit board. The IR sensors are exposed through the notches in the track ties.

This installation works great on my layout.



Final Steps

I ballast my track using Brennan's Better Ballast. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the external program/ record circuit board. I will probably run a longer cable to move the circuit board away from the track. 

No comments:

Post a Comment